How to Apply

There are three core competencies on the Alberta HCA Directory:

  • Certified: HCAs who have successfully completed and received a Health Care Aide certificate in Alberta.
  • Substantial Equivalence: Graduates of a Health Care Aide program outside of Alberta, internationally educated nurses; and individuals with education as a Health Care Aide, personal support worker, continuing care assistant, nurse, or other profession considered to provide direct patient care.
  • Deemed Competent: HCAs who have no formal health care education and have been assessed using a completed competency assessment tool by a regulated nurse employed by an operator.

Valid Government-Issued ID requirement:

Health Care Aides (HCAs) looking to enrol on the Directory must have the following: 

  • A copy of two (2) different forms of valid, non-expired Government-issued ID. One must be valid photo ID and the other must be any other valid form of ID listed on the application form.

Applicants without valid Government-issued ID:

HCA applicants who are unable to provide two (2) valid forms of Government-issued ID must provide the following:

  • One (1) valid form of Government-issued of photo ID.
  • One (1) expired Government-issued ID; and,
  • Either an employee ID or a notarized document confirming identity.

To be eligible for this exception, applicants must submit all three (3) of the abovementioned pieces of ID.

Resources & Toolkits